Banner of page with legal guides courtesy of Chandler divorce attorney Joan Bundy. Shows mother and son.

Leaving the marital or partner home in Arizona

Is it abandonment?

If you are just starting the journey toward divorce or child-custody establishment, you may wonder whether it will hurt your case if you move out of your home. Perhaps someone told you that this constitutes abandonment. Is this true under the law?

In Arizona, the answer is no. Moving out of the marital residence or home you have shared with your romantic partner does not break any law, criminal or otherwise. Also, it cannot be used against you in family court.

Arizona is a no-fault divorce state. In fact, every state today has some form of no-fault divorce, although the legal requirements vary from state to state. To get a no-fault divorce, you do not have to prove that your spouse did something horrible, such as regularly abusing you physically and/or emotionally (often termed extreme cruelty), stepping out on you (adultery or infidelity), or leaving you and your offspring to fend for yourselves (abandonment or desertion).

A judge will not punish you if you are the one who moves out. Being the first to leave the home will not affect your parental rights, property-ownership rights, or anything else related to the divorce. Sure, you might be ordered to provide child support and possibly spousal maintenance, at least temporarily while the case is actively pending in court. But this would be true no matter who is living in the residence or if neither of you is doing so anymore.

Moving out does not relieve you of all duties toward the property

Occupation or possession of real property is only one branch in the bundle of sticks of ownership (or leasehold, if you rent). Whether you or your former romantic partner moves out of your previously shared residence—and if so, when—is completely up to you. But realize that both of you may still be on the hook for a mortgage, property taxes, homeowners association dues, or a lease, depending on whether you own or rent, and whose name is on the loan and/or title or lease documents.

A more important concern is whether—and if so, when—the residence should be sold, or whether the lease should be broken, allowed to expire, or renewed. The most important factor is whether any minor children live there. If so, additional factors may be considered, such as:

  • How old the children are.
  • How long they have lived in the residence.
  • Whether moving would require changing school districts or moving a long distance away from their neighborhood friends.

If one or more children is old enough to remember and moving could greatly traumatize them, the court normally will take this into consideration. The judge would be more likely to allow a parent providing primary caretaking duties to stay in the residence with the children for a certain period of time. This parent might be allowed either to buy out the other parent’s interest in the real estate or to continue owning it jointly with the moved-out parent for a predetermined period of time. For example, the time period might end when the child turns a certain age, the mortgage is paid off by a certain amount, or the market allows for a certain percentage of net profit. With continued joint ownership, the non-resident parent likely will be required to continue paying his or her half—or whatever other amount can be agreed to—toward the property expenses, not including utilities.

Changing the locks

A related question is whether a spouse or parent can have the locks changed on the residence so that the other party cannot get back in. This depends on whether both people are listed on the title or lease. It also depends on whether any protective orders are in place preventing the defendant from returning without law enforcement on standby while the person picks up some of his or her belongings.

Technically, both parties have the right to access the property anytime if they are both named as the owners or lessees. So a better plan would be to hold off changing the locks until the moved-out party is notified and has given written consent.

If an order of protection is in place, and you are truly afraid for the life or safety of yourself and/or other loved ones in the home, you may be able to change the locks temporarily. Then you would need to change them back or give the other party a key once the danger has subsided.

Deciding whether or when to leave the marital or partner home can be a complicated issue. If you are in doubt, be sure to consult with an experienced Arizona family law attorney.

Disclaimer: This legal guide provides general information, not legal advice that can be applied to any specific matter. It does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Click to see contact information for Joan Bundy Law, Chandler divorce and family law firm.

I hired Ms. Bundy for my divorce case, after meeting and consulting with 4 other attorneys/ law firms in the valley. She handled the entire matter for me, and everything went as smoothly as possible for a divorce. I am happy with the outcome, and recommend her services.

C. F.divorce matter

[S]he has kept us informed on what to expect and has always asked for our input so she knows what we want before moving forward.

K. M.child custody matter

Joan Bundy thoroughly investigated my case and always had time to listen to and address my concerns. She is and has been very organized and keeps up to date with details regarding my case. She also has taken swift action when it has been necessary.

C. matter

I initially talked with another firm (a large family practice here in Phoenix) and I just did not get the warm and fuzzy feeling that they were going to do everything I required. Joan certainly did and I am so glad I hired Joan for my issues.

S. H.spousal maintenance issue

I hired Joan to handle my divorce. Although the process itself was difficult, Joan made it much easier. She handled my case with compassion and professionalism.

S. P.divorce matter